Upheaval in Zhaltssom
Character creation works under a specific set of rules that mostly follow the Pathfinder character creation setup. Here are the specifics in regards to Upheaval in Zhaltssom:
0) You are allowed to pick from the following when creating your character: Core Rules, Advanced Player’s Guide, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Equipment, Ultimate Campaign
The Advanced Race Guide is not formally allowed due to the use of custom races in this setting, but the GM can negotiate to allow particularly fitting rules/feats/whatever from that book.
1) Attributes: You may use either the “point buy” system or by the standard 4d6 method for determining stats, as follows:
Point-Buy: All ability scores start at 10. You have 25 points to purchase ability scores, with the following values:
Standard: Roll 4d6 six times, dropping the lowest die in each case. If there are no results higher than 14 or the totals of the six results are less than 62, you have the option of re-rolling.
(Veterans’ Note: The note on stats being less than 62 would translate to having total ability bonuses less than +1.)
1a) Determining your Modifiers: Once you have determined your six ability scores, record them on a character sheet (if you do not have a character sheet, either use a spreadsheet file or ask the GM for a character sheet copy). Then, take each number, subtract 10 from it and divide the result by 2. If the resulting number has a fraction, round down. The final number will be your Modifier for that ability score, which is the number actually used in skill and ability checks. Record this number separately from the ability score.
2) Races: The Upheaval in Zhaltssom campaign uses custom races. These races are listed below, along with links to their racial entries and modifiers to their ability scores. The entries list other traits that the races get, as well as their default languages and their options for bonus languages. A character knows an extra number of languages equal to their Intelligence Modifier.
|Starborne Human||+2 to one ability score (your choice)|
|Sunborne Human||+2 to one ability score (your choice)|
|Moonborne Human||+2 to one ability score (your choice)|
|Sun Elf||+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, –2 Constitution|
|Dark Elf||+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, –2 Constitution|
|Dwarf||+2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma|
|Gnome||+2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, –2 Strength|
|Drakeling||+2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity|
|Vermis||+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, –2 Strength|
|Usagi||+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, –2 Strength|
|Anuran||+2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, –2 Strength|
|Canid||+2 Strength, +2 Wisdom|
|Felid||+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, –2 Wisdom|
|Skink||+2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution|
|Accipitus||+4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom|
|Equus||+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence|
|Ursin||+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom|
|Ceratos||+4 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma|
|Dynastin||+2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence|
|Solenops||+2 Strength, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma|
|Macropod||+2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence|
|Vulpe||+2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution|
|Odocoil||+2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Dexterity, -4 Charisma|
|Arvicol||+2 Strength, +2 Charisma, -4 Dexterity|
3) Classes: A discussion of classes is outside the scope of this volume and is covered normally in the Character Creation sections of the allowed books (or at minimum the Core Rules). All classes from the allowed books are permitted except for the gunslinger.
Please note that your character will begin play at 7th level.
4,5) Skills/Feats: These are as normal for character creation, keeping in mind that the character is 7th level.
6) Hit Points: Your first level’s Hit Die is considered maximized. Roll other Hit Dice normally for your class.
7) Equipment: Due to the increased character level, you will get to use the equivalent of 23,500 gp to outfit your character. This amount specifically represents your character’s adventuring equipment, and you are strongly encouraged to spend this starting wealth on magic items as you see appropriate.
All further aspects of character creation are the same as in the Character Creation sections of the allowed books. Please note that when deciding character alignment, good and neutral alignments are allowed without question, but lawful evil and neutral evil may be allowed if you discuss your character’s background and accomplishments with the GM. Chaotic evil is forbidden as an alignment.